Social media is constantly evolving, and it seems like every year there’s at least one new social media platform to discover. Well, Instagram, which has been around since 2010, is a great way for law firms to promote their business with videos and photos. But there are a few best practices you should follow if you’re going to market there.
Build The Right Audience
There are over 600 million active users on Instagram—that’s a lot of people. The majority of the users are between the ages of 19 and 29 (58%) and 37% of the users earn more than $70,000 a year. This is important data when you’re thinking about promoting your law firm on that platform. (source)
Here are a few tips to ensure that you’re building the right audience on Instagram:
- Client profile. Build an “ideal client” profile before you sign up for Instagram. Know what it is that you’re looking for in a client—income, legal needs, location etc.
- Follow others. Once you craft a solid client profile, you should connect with other law firms and legal industry related companies that have already built audiences that fit your ideal client profile. Research how they interact with their audience and consider connecting to their followers.
- Pick appropriate hashtags. Instagram is fueled by hashtags because that’s how videos and photos are are categorized. It’s a good idea to begin with at least a few hashtags that are location specific. For example: #newyorklitigation or #losangelesfamilylaw. You can eventually expand, but some good location specific hashtags should help you attract the right audience.
Post Engaging Content
There are 600 million people on Instagram, that means that anything you post could be seen by millions or lost in the chaos. That’s why it’s important that you post engaging content that people want to see. Here are a few tips on what makes content valuable:
- Pertinent information. Some Instagram users are searching for information. Depending on your law firm’s practice areas, providing that information in a short video or infographic could be a great way to build an audience of loyal followers and attract new business. Find out what your “ideal client” is likely searching for then provide them with that information in your posts. For example, if you’re representing bankruptcy clients in your city you might provide them with information about the local bankruptcy laws.
- Behind-the-scenes content. Instagram isn’t just about getting new clients, it’s also a great way to connect to existing clients. Consider posting content about what’s happening at your law firm—new practice areas, new associates, cases you just won or settled, etc. This “what’s new” information can help clients understand what you do and make them feel closer to you.
- Tag onto current events. If there are some important events happening in your city that has everyone’s attention, consider posting information that connects your law firm to those events in a genuine way. For example, if there is a news item about a celebrity divorce and you’re a family law attorney, you might do a short video on your thoughts about how the law could impact the case.
Instagram is a robust social media platform that if used correctly could help your law firm grow.
You might also like...
Get A Free Demo
Ready to see what Smokeball can do for you?